By joining GBIF as data provider, there are several benefits for the institutions that hold the data, for nature conservation, and for society, including:
- Higher exposure of biodiversity data, making them easily accessible to the global community;
- Values the biological collection biological of the biodiversity database through the increasing use of data;
- Allows the production of new knowledge, facilitating the integration of information from many different sources, which combination hardly would occur without GBIF infrastructure;
- Facilitates data review by experts, which scientific reviews may return to the original resource, increasing its value;
- Promotes good management of natural resources, facilitating the development of systematic conservation planning for biodiversity;
- Improves the quality of environmental impact assessments, with benefits for nature and society.