The Portuguese Node of GBIF participated at last 14-16 October at the Muséum National d’Histoire Naturelle in Paris in the third and final meeting of the mentoring project between France, Portugal and Spain, with the aim of exchanging experiences and expertise among the different nodes.
The main themes developed and discussed in this meeting were:
- Creating a website and building a community of citizen science in order to transcribe the information provided on the labels of herbarium collections, using as platform, "Les Herbonautes" design by the French Node of GBIF, translating and adapting their features for Portuguese and Spanish.
- Visualization of data through GBIF APIs.
- Analysis of GBIF-accessed data with statistic tools
- Detailed presentation of the code and functionalities the Atlas of Living Australia's ALA-portal, which will be available for France and Portugal, having Spain already made public a version of the portal.
- Discussion about persistent identifiers and their specificities depending on the type of data involved (occurrence, data set, data base, data paper ...)
This last meeting was the culmination of a rich and constructive exchange of experiences and knowledge between teams from Spain, France and Portugal, which led to an improvement in capacity, and opened the opportunity for an ongoing and lasting collaboration between the involved nodes, and will also benefit to other members of the GBIF community on the covered topics with new or improved tools, documents, manuals and practical knowledge.
The program and presentations of the third meeting of the mentoring project can be found here as well as the action points to be followed by participants in the future. You can also find information on the other two meetings (Spain and Portugal) here.